A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Please help with advice/Solicitors

  • Lena3
  • Lena3's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
28 Sep 12 #358379 by Lena3
Topic started by Lena3
Dear All,

I applied for divorce on the grounds of domestic abuse in Feb 2012. Has been with the solicitor for 7 months and not happy with the way things have been going (me and son had to move out of FMH because of abuse). This has been a Legal Aid case. I need to limit child''s contact arrangements (son does not want to see him during the week) and would like other solicitor''s firm deal with this, although they agree to take my child''s contact case on a legal aid basis, but say i need to take a bank loan 5-10 thousand to pay the work on financial settlement. I am a part time working mum, no savings, and quite shocked at the amount i was told to borrow.Could you please advise what i should do. Thank you so much. lena

  • Serendipity100
  • Serendipity100's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
01 Oct 12 #358688 by Serendipity100
Reply from Serendipity100
See you have had no replies as yet - so thought I would. Re the divorce, are you saying that you petitiioned in Feb, and not even had Nisi yet? I would also strongly suggest you take steps to move back to house - in cases of domestic violence, you can apply for a non-mol and occupancy order - but the longer you leave it and living elsewhere.... Hope this helps.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.