A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

File to be retrieved from solicitors archive

  • Nancy 123
  • Nancy 123's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
02 Jun 15 #462502 by Nancy 123
Topic started by Nancy 123
Good evening

I was divorced a year ago and my file has now gone in to archiving.

I am now wanting a different solicitor practice to act for me on a new situation (Consent Order etc). Today I have asked for my file to be taken out of archiving and moved to the new solicitor or given to me so I can hand deliver it.

The old solicitor says he can only do this once they have received a letter from my new solicitor with my instructions and permission.

My new solicitor says the old solicitor should be able to act on my instructions and I should not have to pay him to write to the old solicitor as it is my file and my property.

Any knowledge of this anyone???

OK it is only going to be the cost of a letter but I am more than capable of writing it myself and saving £60+. I probably am going to have a battle retrieving my file from my old solicitor by asking directly myself.

Thank you

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Jun 15 #462506 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
Phone them up and say that you will be in to collect it and you will sign a receipt. There is absolutely no reason for your new solicitor to have to write to the old solicitor.

Your solicitor acts as your agent and undertakes any legal task which you wish to delegate. In this instance you do not wish to delegate the task and you act at your own behest.

Ask them to confirm that they will release the file to you or to provide you wish details of the Legal Ombudsman. Blithering idiots!


  • Nancy 123
  • Nancy 123's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
03 Jun 15 #462540 by Nancy 123
Reply from Nancy 123
Thank you Charles :)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11