A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • Auroraalice
  • Auroraalice's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
08 Sep 15 #466492 by Auroraalice
Topic started by Auroraalice
My husband assaulted me back in December, was held and realeased on bail. He pled guilty and his bail conditions were dropped.
My lawyer has told me that we have to go through the two year divorce, so basically I have to share this house. Surely assault is a reason for divorce.

  • naziam
  • naziam's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
08 Sep 15 #466497 by naziam
Reply from naziam
Why are you connecting up the fact that it''s going to take two years to get the divorce with him being able to enter the house. Have you applied for an ex-parte occupation order for the property, if the property is in his sole name and your concerned about that then you can register your "home rights" with the land registry I don''t see why he would be allowed back in if he''s assaulted you and admitted his guilt.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Sep 15 #466503 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
There is a different legal system in Scotland. Spouses automatically have home rights and they don''t need to be registered. When there is evidence of domestic abuse you can apply to the sheriff court for an interdict and/or an exclusion order to prevent your spouse from entering the property.

Assault is unreasonable behaviour and strictly speaking you can apply to divorce before 2 years. The problem is the finances and arrangements for any children are heard "ancillary" to the divorce before the decree is granted. It can take you two years to get the divorce anyway and the legal costs can amount to tens of thousands of pounds. Usually it''s more straightforward and a lot cheaper to wait two years to apply for divorce without consent when emotions aren''t running so high.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11