A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Can I do the last bits myself ???

  • jules68
  • jules68's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
06 Oct 15 #467687 by jules68
Topic started by jules68

I have seen some posts on this site over the last few years with regards to giving up the solicitor and doing the last few bits on their own.. I''m at a crossroads and would like some advice. It''s taken me 3 years to get stbx to court which I did finally in January of this year the judge made it very clear that the orders were not to be broken and we had 56 days in which to get the finances sorted....well the house was signed over to him and I had a lump sum ...The only thing left to sort out is his police pension of which we both had to pay £300.00 pounds each to sort out.... my problem is that my solicitor hadn''t bothered to tell me for months that stbx had not paid his £300.00 and that''s Why I have heard anything ....is it best for me to enforce the court order myself by downloading the former off your site and doing this myself as my solicitor is still holding €3500.00 of my money in their account and isn''t doing anything for me. ..really desperate for some advice on this ....just want the Decree Absolute now but can''t do that until pension is sorted..

Thanks in advance

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
15 Oct 15 #468054 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday

Your case has been ongoing for a long time now, and hasn''t been straight-forward to say the least. I would advise that you stick with your solicitor for the enforcement - it can be complex and tricky and it''s best to leave it to a professional who understands the process and procedure.

However, there''s no reason why you can''t make the application for the Decree Absolute yourself :)

  • WinterBaby
  • WinterBaby's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
19 Oct 15 #468224 by WinterBaby
Reply from WinterBaby
It is better to wait until the finances are sorted, or at least agreed in a sealed Consent Order before applying for Decree Absolute. If you don''t and he dies before things are sorted, you may end up with nothing.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11