A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

house sale/equity split

  • vanilla30
  • vanilla30's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
17 May 16 #478333 by vanilla30
Topic started by vanilla30

Any help would be appreciate.

I have been separated from my ex for nearly 7 years. Three children, three properties jointly owned. All three children refuse to see him. The youngest one may see him in a contact center if the judge allows it (long story).

He is in the former "matrimonial" home (although we never married) alone. He has already stated in mediation that he "has no intention" to cohabit. So he does not need a large family home for him to rattle around in.

I am applying for the sale of the houses. Because two of the children are living with me full time and the fact that he refuses to pay CSA for the children, could I apply for a larger share of the equity as I am unlikely to ever receive any CSA payments or any financial assistance whatsoever in the future. The oldest no longer lives at home.


  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 May 16 #478353 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
The fact is, your husband still needs somewhere to live.

The Court cannot absolve or release him from his duty to pay child support.

It is not unknown for Courts to award a greater share of the assets to a wife whose husband is not paying spousal maintenance and has no
intention of doing so.

But such an arrangement cannot be used in child support cases, simply because it would be statutorily unenforceable.

In theory it is possible that you cold enforce arrears of child support by getting a charging order of his property.


  • vanilla30
  • vanilla30's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
17 May 16 #478358 by vanilla30
Reply from vanilla30
Thank you for your reply.

There is substantial equity in the properties approx £300k. He could go into rented, he would not be left homeless. He also has the option of moving in with his gf who is extremely wealthy.

Would it be fair then for him to live in a large house by himself and for me to live in a much smaller house with the children.

I have been told that I have a strong case for the houses to be sold and now that the children are with me full time things are more straight forward.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11