A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

I need Advice on selecting a suitable Solicitor

  • Mr Pete
  • Mr Pete's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
02 Dec 16 #486283 by Mr Pete
Topic started by Mr Pete
I am the Respondant in a divorce, which is currently at the Decree Nisi stage. I've received a court order for my financial assets etc, to be submitted within the month.

I'm within 3 weeks of leaving the Armed Forces, and becoming unemployed. Making it difficult to obtain the required Pension forcast, as that takes four to six weeks. I am also trying to work out my living expenses/costs, as I've lived in service accommodation overseas, for many years.

My STBX and I, have a signed and agreed separation statement (Not Legal?). Whereby she keeps the house and contents. Whilst I retain my pension, although I still maintain the mortgage payments.

The gratuity lump sum, from the service was left out of the agreement, but was to be split between the mortgage and my new set-up charges.

So the advice I'm seeking is, are the Wikivorce Solicitor's the right people to go to, by ordering the "Standard Divorce and Consent Order"?

I'm still overseas, and therefore do not want to pay for something, they are unable to deal with.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
02 Dec 16 #486301 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Providing you have both agreed to divorce and agreed the financial settlement then yes Wikivorce can provide the service, it`s fairly easy, takes a while depending on the court and how busy they are .

  • Mr Pete
  • Mr Pete's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
03 Dec 16 #486327 by Mr Pete
Reply from Mr Pete
Thanks for the reply Dukey.

As she, now wants the house, a lump sum and maintence. It throw's the agreement out the window, and becomes a line of contention. (Sorry, I just realised that I'd left this bit out on the original query).

Therefore it doesn't fit the pre-requisits under their (Wikivorce)service provion. Just as I suspected.

I guess I'm going to have to call them, once they're open, to see which service I need to order.

Or how to find a good Solicitor through recommendation, if we're not allowed to publish names?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11