A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Dismiss or use existing petition

  • Crumpled
  • Crumpled's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Feb 19 #506375 by Crumpled
Topic started by Crumpled
Hi I filed for divorce 4 years ago but my husband never replied to the petition.
I have changed solicitors and they want me to dismiss the original petition and start a new one but seemed to deliberate over what would be the best solution
Is there any reason why I can’t just have the original petition re served as my husband never replied to it or would it just be thrown out when it got to court

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 Feb 19 #506381 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
There are pros and cons. The existing petition could proceed but the particulars of unreasonable behaviour (which I assume is that basis of the petition) will be old. You may have to amend the petition to account for this.

Dismissing the petition will incur a court fee as will issuing a new petition.

Amending the existing petition will incur a court fee and cost you in solicitors fees but may not be accepted at first. When a petition goes wrong and has to be amended the process is troublesome and the petition often turns to rubber, getting bounced to and from the court.

The only real cast iron benefit of dismissing and reissuing would be to petition on the grounds of 5 years separation which might be applicable in your case.

Otherwise, whether to proceed or re-petition comes down to costs but it's not clear which would be the most cost-effective or efficient.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11