A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

The Ex using MY Solicitor.....!

  • Phoebe_Lambert
  • Phoebe_Lambert's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
16 May 19 #507607 by Phoebe_Lambert
Reply from Phoebe_Lambert
.Charles wrote:

There is no requirement for a person to instruct a lawyer. In the absence of a lawyer your solicitor has to deal directly with your ex - that's how it should be.

If you ex instructed a solicitor you would still be paying your solicitor to communicate with your ex's solicitor, albeit that process would probably be more efficient.

If you want to save legal fees you could deal directly with your ex and not use solicitors at all.


wouldn't it help if solicitor manage to have a sitting with both of you present at the same moment and then all three of you can come up with a solution

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 May 19 #507619 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
What you have described there is the FDR hearing where the judge is supposed to give an opinion to assist the parties in settling.

A solicitor cannot act for opposing parties as there would be a conflict of interests.

It is possible to go to a mediator but they won't give advice or opinion, they just help the parties iron out the finer details.

Ideally each party would specify what they think is a reasonable division and then take advice on whether they are being unreasonable or selling themselves short. If each party does that the gap between the two should be narrow enough to settle.


  • spinit
  • spinit's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 May 19 #507620 by spinit
Reply from spinit
That's what you do in most normal countries, England and Wales have this weird adversarial system for divorce so you need two lawyers one to represent each of you.

  • Grrrrrrrrrr01
  • Grrrrrrrrrr01's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
17 May 19 #507628 by Grrrrrrrrrr01
Reply from Grrrrrrrrrr01
Thanks for your reply, I have had to move 4 hours away from her, so the sitting down & talking isn't ideal.

Thanks ....G

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11