A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

solicitor help

  • diamond74
  • diamond74's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
09 Aug 19 #508980 by diamond74
Topic started by diamond74
I originally had a solicitor working on my case who disappeared without a trace, another one from the same company agreed to take the case on, this was agreed payment would be taken from the lump sum owed by ex at the end.

he did not pay, solicitor then agreed to take on the work enforcincing the amount, various letters and phone calls to ex and his solicitor, but when it came to going to court she would not act for me saying she needed payment. I ended up going back to court on my own, got charged an extra £1200 on top of the previous £6550 + vat (I already owe solicitor) he has kept to the monthly payments for 6 months agreed in court whilst he sorts out the finance but I am still no further forward with the lump sum, I keep getting updates that it is near completion but no proof from him. where do I stand solicitor wise?

attach original email below

I am pleased to confirm that the directors have confirmed that we can act for you in relation to the enforcement. I now need to draft a new retainer letter for this separate trench of work. I will be doing this tomorrow and this will be referred to the directors for sign off. I will then be able to forward the letter to you for your consideration.

Please bear in mind that there may be no swift resolution to the matter. If he digs his heels in and is really difficult then this may take many, many months to resolve perhaps longer. It may involve no court hearings, it may involve several; I just don’t know.

I will be in contact again shortly.

  • Allcry
  • Allcry's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
16 Aug 19 #509119 by Allcry
Reply from Allcry
I'd say this is contract law.

Is your contract with the solicitor that ran off, or is it with the company?

I hope you have everything in writing.

My gut is that the contract is with the company. If it was a barrister it would be with the barrister.

So, my head is that you will need to look at the terms of the contract, and even give the Solicitor society a call.

First port of call would be the CAB and consumer rights people. Take the original agreement, and the offer, to them.

Good luck

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11