A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Need an advice on Homerights ,where to seek help!!

  • kj11
  • kj11's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Apr 20 #512159 by kj11
Topic started by kj11
Hi ,

I am a new member of wikivorce.I don’t even know where to start.

Right now i am living seperately from my husband(married for 10 years) taking care of kid from the 6 months,renting out a small house near to where i work.I did't decided yet to go for divorce or go for legal seperation but i fed up with his gambling addiction and manipulative behaviour.I needed that head space...!!

We have a family house (where my husband currently living and he is the sole owner) but i registed my matrimony homerights long back as a precautionary measure.Now husband says ,he got an buyer and dealings were going on b/w solicitors.

He approached me with this regard,to give my consent for the sale to go ahead- he will pay off all the debts,loans(due to his addiction) which he have with the equity and will be a good person thereafter.Upon asking what about the child and my security he saying let me clear his debts first as its his top priority as he currently job less.

He said he can only give me (

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
18 Apr 20 #512161 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Welcome to Wikivorce but sorry you find yourself here.

The priority for financial settlement on divorce is needs for housing and income now and in the future. Where there is a child/children, their needs are most important.

As you have registered matrimonial home rights the property cannot be sold without your agreement. Even if it was to be sold, I would not want to agree to funds being split without a legally binding financial settlement in place. The worry us that he would blow his share then come after yours. The entire proceeds should be held by a solicitor pending financial settlement. Are any of his debts registered as charges against the property?

You should inform the estate agent of the situation.

You cannot have a legally binding financial settlement without a Decree Nisi in place. If you need help to get the ball rolling on the divorce, give the helpline a call.

As to what the settlement should be and how his debts would be treated, we would need to know a lot more about your financial circumstances to be able to provide advice.

We need to know

Length of the marriage plus cohabitation.
Children ages and arrangements for them
Market value of former marital home (FMH)
Outstanding mortgage
Size of FMH
Pensions type and CEV if possible
Value of other assets in sole or joint names
Debts/loans in sole or joint names and how they were accrued.

Any other factors such as health, significant inheritance etc that may affect a settlement.

The helpline can also provide advice on help with financial settlement.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11