A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

When have to use solicitor - court

  • Nebulus
  • Nebulus's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
28 Nov 20 - 28 Nov 20 #514897 by Nebulus
Topic started by Nebulus
I have done the form E so far without a solicitor, but ex has a solicitor and also arranged court hearing

I want to reduce costs, when is a must to get solicitor?

Does it have to be a barrister for court or can a solicitor do this?

Ex solicitor is actually a legal exucutive, is this cheaper? Any issues with that?
Last edit: 28 Nov 20 by Nebulus.

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
28 Nov 20 #514903 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
If you don’t want to use a solicitor you don’t have to.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
29 Nov 20 #514907 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
If you are self representing, it is important to understand the process and make sure you follow the instructions in documents from the court.
The first hearing is really administrative, designed to ensure you have full financial disclosure on which a settlement may be based.
A standard order will be drawn up to set out what needs to be done before the second hearing or FDR. This may be valuations, an actuary's report or something specific to the case.
If one of you is LIP and the other is represented their solicitor will usually draw up the order for the judge to sign.
The time when it may be useful to have either representation, if affordable OR at least some good legal advice based on the disclosure, valuations etc, is in the run up to FDR and at the hearing where negotiations take place. You can use a direct access barrister and/or the cost effective services offered by this site to support LIPs. Look at the services tab or give the helpline a call.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11