A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Draft Divorce Petition

  • Aurora3
  • Aurora3's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
15 Nov 07 #6768 by Aurora3
Topic started by Aurora3
Hi all,

I received my draft divorce petition last Friday. I don't have a solicitor and planned to leave my husband everything, I'm now regretting that decision and want to seek legal advice myself.

My question is if I don't respond to the draft with amendments or tell my husbands solicitor that I will be seeking my own legal advice, will that cause problems. I've not been asked to sign anything for the divorce.

The reason I'm not just telling them I'm seeking legal advice is I'm not sure if it's too late. I signed for the house to be transferred over into my husbands name and am thinking it's probably too late to ask for something. Although at the time of signing it I felt a little pressured into doing it by my husband.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

According to the letter with the draft petition I have 7 days to contest or seek legal advice... but if I've not signed anything surely I can just do what I want to my own timetable???

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Nov 07 #6771 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
I think this is saying you have seven days to respond to the petition. That is just about the divorce, not the financial stuff, which is anciliary relief.

What did you sign to transfer the house to your husband? If you haven't got a court order for anciliary relief (which you can't have at this stage) then I don't think it will count for anything much.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.