A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

There are other options for arranging child maintenance and enforcing payment, depending on where you live.

Consent Order (in England & Wales)

This is an official ruling made by a court.  It is normally used when parents are deciding a divorce settlement or sharing assets.  Both parents normally have to work with solicitors to agree the amount of child maintenance to be paid.  They then apply to the court to turn the agreement into a consent order.

A consent order means the court can enforce payment if the parent without main day-to-day care of the child fails to pay.  However, getting a consent order can be expensive.  Legal aid won’t cover these costs if you are only going to court to get a consent order for child maintenance.

Also, you can’t ask the CSA to make a child maintenance arrangement during the first 12 months of a consent order.

Visit the CM Options website for more information on using the courts.

Minute of agreement (in Scotland)

If you live in Scotland, a child maintenance arrangement can be made into a legally binding contract called a ‘minute of agreement’.  The sheriff officer can collect and enforce payments if the parent without main day-to day care of the child breaks the agreement.

Remember if you have any concerns or questions then please ring the Options helpline on 0800 988 0988 or look at the Options Website for more information.

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.