This leaflet explains the rights and responsibilities of separated parents, with information on what services and specialist legal advice are available. It also discusses some of the practical considerations for separated families.
Who this leaflet is for:
This leaflet is for you if you are a parent:
- separated from the other parent, and responsible for the main day-to-day care of your child, or
- living apart from your child and not the main day-to-day carer.
Guardians, relatives and anyone concerned about a child or family living apart may also find the information in this leaflet useful.
How this leaflet can help you:
You can find out about:
- your legal rights and responsibilities as a parent
- practical considerations and planning for your child
- what the court and mediation services can do for you
- how to sort out and divide your assets
- where to get specialist legal advice.