A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info



Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders - or REMO - is the process by which maintenance orders made by UK courts, on behalf of UK residents, can be registered and enforced by courts or other authorities in other countries against people resident there; or a claim for recovery of maintenance by a UK resident against a person resident in another country can be established in that country.

This is a reciprocal arrangement governed by international conventions, which means that foreign maintenance orders in favour of individuals abroad can likewise be registered and enforced by UK courts against UK resident; or a maintenace claim by an individual abroad established in this country.

The Maintenance Orders (Reciprocal Enforcement) Act 1972 provides that the Lord Chancellor is the transmitting and receiving agency in England and Wales for maintenance cases where one party lives outside of the UK. The Lord Chancellor delegates his operational responsibilities as the transmitting and receiving agency to the REMO Unit, which is located in the Office of the Official Solicitor and Public Trustee.

How to apply A UK resident who wishes to apply to obtain maintenance from a person overseas should approach: their local magistrates' court (or county court where the order was made) if they have an existing court order for maintenance; or their local magistrates' court if there is no existing order. They may apply for their order to be enforced in the country where the payer resides. Procedures also exist to enable an applicant to ask the foreign authorities to create an order for maintenance on their behalf. There is no need for the applicant to engage a solicitor.

Court staff will help the applicant and will forward the application to the relevant transmitting and receiving agency: the REMO unit in the office of Official Solicitor and Public Trustee for applications from England & Wales the Scottish Executive for applications from Scotland or the Northern Ireland Court Service for applications from Northern Ireland The relevant agency will check that the application is in order and send it to the foreign authority or court for registration and enforcement of an order, or establishment of a claim, against the person living there.

REMO countries:

Algeria Anguilla Antigua Austria Australia Bahamas Barbados Belize Belgium Bermuda Bosnia & Herzegovina Botswana Brazil British Solomon Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Canada (except Quebec) Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chile Croatia Czech Republic Cyprus Denmark Dominica Ecuador Estonia Falkland Islands Fiji Finland France Gambia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Grenada Guatemala Guyana Guernsey

Haiti Holy See Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China Hungary Iceland India Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Jersey Kenya Kiribati Latvia Lesotho Lithuania Luxembourg Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Malawi Malaysia Malta Mauritius Mexico Monaco Montserrat Morocco Nauru Netherlands New Zealand Niger Nigeria Norfolk Island Norway Pakistan Papua New Guinea Philippines Poland Portugal Romania

St Helena St Kitts & Nevis St Lucia St Vincent Serbia & Montenegro Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia South Africa Spain Sri Lanka Surinam Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Tanzania Trinidad & Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turks & Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda United States (except Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, and the District of Columbia) Upper Volta Uruguay Vatican (Holy See) Virgin Islands Zambia Zanzibar Zimbabwe

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
To write a comment please register or

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.