A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Form E - disabled child & carer

  • SilverFir
  • SilverFir's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Jun 12 #337714 by SilverFir
Topic started by SilverFir
As suggested by someone on here, I''m beginning to do my homework by looking at form E :P

I have a child, but he is not a "child of the family" in that he was conceived and born to my new partner after separation.

However, our child is disabled; and one of us is required to be a full-time stay at home parent during his early years. We have made the decision that this will be his Dad and not me.

Will I be able to include this on Form E, or do the questions only relate to children born in the marriage? His needs obviously have a huge impact on our expenditure and joint earning capability.

I don''t mind if the answer is "no" as I accept it was our choice to have a child, and it is unfortunate that the child is disabled but that is not the fault of STBX. However, I don''t want to plan on NOT mentioning it if the court would actually take this into account. (iyswim!)

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Jun 12 #338023 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
I don''t see why you should not mention it, it could probably be taken into account under the general catch all heading of '' all the circumstances of the case '' but as you recognise it''s not reasonable for your ex to have to be responsible for a child who is not his.

I assume you''re considered DLA for the child as a possibility ?


  • SilverFir
  • SilverFir's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Jun 12 #338181 by SilverFir
Reply from SilverFir

We do get DLA, that goes towards paying the increased costs of living that come with his disability, so it goes entirely on our son. We also get disability premium and carers allowance, but they really don''t replace an entire salary.

I think I''ll definitely mention it somewhere, as it explains why we are restricted to one working parent & benefits. It''s not like I''m seeking a maintenance payment from the Ex or anything; I just would like the judge to understand why we have a certain level of income & expenditure.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.