A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Advice on possible settlement

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Jul 12 #342457 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
Assuming he stops paying maintenance when your daughter leaves to go to university, this will heighten the difference in your incomes and could possibly mean you have a case for some sort of spousal support. This however, needs to be considered alongside the rest of the asset split. If one spouse gets significantly more equity/cash assets it may be considered not applicable to award spousal maintenance.

  • julie321
  • julie321's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Jul 12 #342502 by julie321
Reply from julie321
I am sure maintenance will stop which is only fair. I suspect he will hel[p her directly which is the right thing to do.

I am actively seeking work but would just like the security of nominal sm should I need it.

Like many women I was the one who took a step backwards in my career to look after my children and as a result am a lot worse off.

Thank you so much for your advice Maisy

  • julie321
  • julie321's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Sep 12 #357115 by julie321
Reply from julie321
Updating this post as stbx has said he will be cancelling any payments to me when daughter leaves next week for Uni, message sent through daughter as usual.

This will leave me with £608 per month to cover mortgage of £336 and all other bills.

We have not yet started divorce proceedings and I am unable to see a solicitor until 3rd October.

Is there a chance I may get mps if I file for divorce, he has paid £ 600 per month for the last three years. I do not expect him to pay for our daughter but cannot survive on £608 when he is earning £2100 with little outgoings as he lives with frinds of OW (allegedly).

I have checked if I can clim ny benefits but nothing except single persons council tax.

I have asked to speak to him but he says he is seeing a solicitor.

Any advise please.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.