A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

property valuation

  • sunday lunch
  • sunday lunch's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
15 Sep 12 #356133 by sunday lunch
Reply from sunday lunch
It is high court in the UK, and it is not queens bench, it is family proceedings/Ancillary relief.

Sorry I am not well informed into legal matters.

Do you think I should get independent valuer to value FMH, I don''t think my ex will cooperate and have a joint one.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Sep 12 #356143 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Sunday Lunch

You could be wasting your money if you are not careful.

There has been a good deal of discussion about the use of the word '' Master '' and I must admit, a few very flippant thoughts crossed my mind, but I has assumed you were referring to a judge of some description.

If you are going to have an independent valuation that is fine, and it may be necessary, but in cases like this, one or two things must happen.

Either the valuer is appointed by agreement ; or
The valuer is appointed by the Court.

Neither side can appoint an independent valuer on his or her own. The reason is obvious ; both sides must agree that the valuer will really be independent and not, for a example, be a close friend of one of the spouses.

The terms of reference of the valuer are important.

If the property is to be sold the valuer is asked what price the property could reasonably be expected to fetch if sold on the open market.

If the property is not to be sold then the valuer is acting as a referee, as it were, and as there will not be a sale, the valuer is asked for a professional opinion of what the property would fetch in the event of a hypothetical sale.


  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Sep 12 #356166 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
Well you could get several estate agents valuations and see if your husband agrees and you agree. If you cannot agree ask the court whether an independent valuer should be appointed.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.