A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Tax credits- new claim?

  • pomegranatepie
  • pomegranatepie's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
27 Oct 16 #485143 by pomegranatepie
Topic started by pomegranatepie
Husband and I are separating- he is employed and I am self employed although earn very little. I have checked on the benefits calculator and as I work 18 hours a week on my business and make 60 pounds a week profit it calculates that i will be entitled to 140 a week- child and working tax combined.

I will have sole custody of our two year old son and stay in our owned house- which we have a 100k outstanding loan as an unwritten private agreement with my father which we pay 500 pounds a month to him.

we currently receive child tax credits, about 34 a week.

what do i need to do to get the ball rolling to change the tax credit claim? He is moving out this weekend. All amicable but emotionally charged at the moment- we hope to come to an agreement between us on ho things are split without the need for court.
We are also planning to come to an agreed amour for child maintenance from him- about 150 pounds a week- will this affect my tax credit claim? I will depend on this to make ends meet until I am able to earn more from my business.

My husband is Dutch- is there anything else I need to think about?

This is terrifying.

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
27 Oct 16 #485144 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Ring them up and start a new claim.

The Child Maintenance you receive wont effect your entitlement but you may have trouble convincing them of your working hours.

£60 for 18 hours work is way below the minimum wage so they will probably want to ask a lot of questions and see your business plane before they accept it.

  • pomegranatepie
  • pomegranatepie's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
27 Oct 16 #485146 by pomegranatepie
Reply from pomegranatepie
Thank you. That sounds simple but now I am worried- I don't have a business plan- I just bake cakes from home and sell them to cafe's but am mainly a stay at home mum to my two year old. I am hoping for more orders but it will realistically be difficult for me to make any more money doing this until my son is at pre-school. If I didn't have my business I would be entitled to income support but I really want to keep it going so that I have something to build up when I have more free time (most of the hours I spend working are during nap times and after he has gone to bed at night as well as a full day working when he is at a friends house- he is too little to be away from me any more than that). I don't know how I will manage without the tax credits as we own the house and the mortgage payments are unofficial- which means I am not entitled to any help with this cost but my father relies on the payments to pay his bills...

The divorce needs to happen as things are really bad between us and we are all miserable.

What a mess.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11