A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Advice re: letter to court regarding residency

  • vicbee
  • vicbee's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
01 Jul 09 #128206 by vicbee
Topic started by vicbee
Hi all

My partner has been asked to submit a letter to the court stating why he should be given residence.

He has temporary custody at the moment. His ex is an alcoholic in an abusive relationship. She can only have supervised contact which she is refusing.

What we really want to know are the main points that we should make to the court.


  • D L
  • D L's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
02 Jul 09 #128285 by D L
Reply from D L
I am presuming you mean a statement not a letter? If so you need to set out the factual background as to how and why the child came to live with you; how and why it is in the child's best interests to stay; and what dad proposes to do to try and ensure child has rel with mum.

Keep it all very matter of fact, and don't get into mud slinging.


  • vicbee
  • vicbee's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Jul 09 #128304 by vicbee
Reply from vicbee
Hi Amanda

Thanks for your reply. My partner is self repping.This was requested at the 3rd directions hearing last week. They asked him and his ex to write a letter stating why they think the children should live with them and serve this to all parties.

The court are fully aware of the circumstances. He has already told them how she is threatening and abusive too, backed up by many police reports and the fact that she was arrested and fined last week.

His ex has already had a liver function test which indicates serious problems. CAFCASS have stated it is apparent she is in an abusive relationship as she was covered in bruises, they have also said they do not want anything other than supervised contact. My partner has tried to arrange this with her family but she has refused.Further checks are also being carried out by social services.I think they said section 7. (this may be wrong!!)

We just wondered if the letter should just concentrate on the family situation the children have with us or do we also add our major concerns about his ex. Would sticking to the facts if they contained these be regarded as 'mud slinging'?

Most people are saying we have nothing to worry about but we want to do things right for the children's sake.

Thanks Vic

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.