A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Self rep in child court?

  • balders
  • balders's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
25 Oct 09 #157095 by balders
Reply from balders
spyder wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

He sent an email with his request for monthly weekend visits together with all school holidays. I replied saying split the holidays half and half and that monthly contact will not work due to distance, but he could travel and see the kids without any problem. He did not reply but took my email to a solicitor who has acknowledged that I am not denying contact at all. He will not speak on the phone with me and has now stopped the email contact.

I presumed that whoever starts court proceedings gets it heard where they reside, so that I would have to travel. I was not saying I would not go, but it may well turn out that I couldn't afford the travelling expenses.

the case will be heard in the nearest court to the rsident parent (you).

LIP is easy. he's in for a shock if he thinks he's gonna storm into court and get all the hols and staying contact. i aint got that and i've been 3 times and i only live a mile away from my littlun!!

i shouldn't worry about a legal aid solicitor. they're useless (polite here!!) the one i had hadn't even heard of gillick competency.

to qualify for legal aid he will have to attend mediation anyway or they'll revoke his certificate, so a lot of it could get sorted without court.

  • tom333
  • tom333's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Oct 09 #157611 by tom333
Reply from tom333
Balders is bang on,
Lip would be easy in this case and things could easily be sorted outside the courtroom by mediation.
I think you will get exactly what you are proposing.

  • crazykids6
  • crazykids6's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Oct 09 #157616 by crazykids6
Reply from crazykids6
hi there
we have self repped in court alot due to finances and have always found the court officials and the otherside solicitor helpful and courteous. Sites like this have been invaluable. The family court officials and the legal advisor we have found will answer questions and are a good starting point.
Some soliciors do a free hour session that may give you a starting point on what is acceptable for contact.
You should be being seen to facilitate contact and encourage a good relationship with their father, but these contact arrangements surely should be acheivable and not unrealistic.
best of luck

  • balders
  • balders's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
27 Oct 09 #157735 by balders
Reply from balders
howdy stranger.

long time, no speak. hope all is well for you.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.