A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Can my sister attend court with me?

  • NickT
  • NickT's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Nov 09 #162705 by NickT
Topic started by NickT
My ex has conducted a war of attrition with me due to having enormous fincancial backing..so I'm having to give up my legal rep and become litigant in person.

Can I take my sister into court with me for support, advice etc etc...she's razor sharp and I know would be of great value but is it allowed?

  • Tets
  • Tets's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
17 Nov 09 #162710 by Tets
Reply from Tets
Yes, she can attend as a McKenzie friend. She Isn't allowed to address the court but can take notes and advise you. See this article in the wikivorce library.

  • Forseti
  • Forseti's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
17 Nov 09 #162751 by Forseti
Reply from Forseti
The official President's Guidance (i.e. the President of the Family Division) is here: www.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/pfd_guidance_m...friends_oct_2008.pdf

It does say that the MF must confirm they have no interest in the case, though the courts often seem relaxed about this and there are cases where a partner or spouse has acted as MF. You do need to apply to the court as soon as you can telling them who the MF will be (see the guidance) so they can approve your choice. If she wants to address the court she can apply for right of audience which will be granted in certain exceptional circumstances.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.