A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What can be raised at Directions?

  • MissingMySon2009
  • MissingMySon2009's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Nov 09 #163700 by MissingMySon2009
Topic started by MissingMySon2009

I'm a Litigant in Person in a Section 8 application regarding my son. However a solicitor is representing me in the financial settlement.

The solicitor for the mother was made aware of this distinction some time ago.

For some reason the solicitor for the mother wrote to my solicitor yesterday as follows:

1) He has rejected that I'm suffering financial hardship and my offer of payment for the costs of the divorce petition. He has stated that I am in violation of an Order of Court and will take me to Court if I don't pay the fees in full now.

2) He has then made allegations regarding my conduct towards my son and the mother, which he himself has stated relate to the Section 8 application.

He shouldn't be writing to my solicitor about anything regarding the Section 8 application. I'm now trying to understand his tactic.

If he files the letter to my solicitor with the Court, because it has material relevant to the Section 8 application, then can he ask the District Judge at the Directions to look at the matter of the costs of the Petition?

He is very crafty and pushes all limits. The mother will not want to pay the fees to take me to Court over the costs of Petition, but she will want those costs ASAP. She is claiming financial hardship even though she walked off in May with our £40k of savings and left me with all debts.

I know, it's an odd question, but any help would be appreciated.

  • shocker
  • shocker's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
22 Nov 09 #164351 by shocker
Reply from shocker
Hi, this may help or maybe not.. but have you filed for divorce? At the end of the day it's the district judges decision who pays for the divorce. My x refused to pay based on his finances, but he has job, car, house. I have nothing.. He made a statement on his financial statement that he could not affort to pay,, however the judge has ordered him to. If he then refuses again, the Judge orders a further financial investigation. Surely if she ran off with £40K this will be mentioned and taken into consideration? Does her solicitor know this?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.