A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Instructing Expert - medical records

  • DessieB
  • DessieB's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
20 Jan 10 #178237 by DessieB
Topic started by DessieB
I am self-representing in connection with residence of my children. The father admitted 4 incidents of assault on my eldest son and the judge ordered that he undergo a psychiatric assessment.

I have now received the draft letter of instructions to be sent to expert.

Can I ask to have his medical records sent with all the other documents for the expert to read?


  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Jan 10 #180736 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
Yes,you can ask, but be aware that the release of his medical records will require his consent; the court cannot force him to disclose them.

You should also be aware that his GP will make a charge for providing the records (in my experience, this is usaully between £30 - £100)

It may be too late, but are you sure that a psychiatric (arther than pschological) assemsmnet is the most appropriate? Pchaitric is usually very fiocussed on 'does he have a mental illness' wheras Psychological will generally be wider in range.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.