A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

maintenance/full time education age limit ?

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Dec 15 #470381 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
rfowler, do you have a court/Consent Order for child maintenance & if so when is it dated.? The exact terms are relevant. The solicitor may be representing your ex''s point of view with regard to the terms . If there is no order or the existing one is no longer effective you could apply to the Child Maintenance Service so it''s worth negotiating.

  • WhiteRose
  • WhiteRose's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
04 Dec 15 #470390 by WhiteRose
Reply from WhiteRose
The problem is sometimes wording can be misinterpreted.

Are you still in receipt of Child Benefit?

You would need to dig out your order and see what the exact wording is (maybe post the wording to this specific bit in a new post without using any identifying information) and our wiser wikis could give their opinion.


  • Child Maintenance Options
  • Child Maintenance Options's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
07 Dec 15 #470480 by Child Maintenance Options
Reply from Child Maintenance Options
Hello Rfowler

If you have a Consent Order/Minute of Agreement in place, you may wish to see what is stipulated within your agreement as to where you stand with your payments. Alternatively, you may wish to seek legal advice.

Under child support legislation, regular child maintenance payments must be made until a child is 16 years old, or 20 if they are in full-time, non-advanced education (A-level or equivalent), or for as long as Child Benefit is being paid. When a child leaves full-time education in the summer, Child Benefit generally continues until the first week of September.

For further information on when maintenance ends and what courses are classed as full-time non-advanced education, you may find the following link useful www.gov.uk/when-child-maintenance-payments-stop

For more information on the different ways to set up child maintenance and for a more personalised service, you can visit the Child Maintenance Options website at www.cmoptions.org

The DWP have a sorting out separation web-app that you may find useful. It offers help and support to separating and separated families. The link is: www.wikivorce.com/divorce/Sorting-Out-Separation.html



Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.