A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Selling house,is mother entitled to proceeds?

  • Tintintin
  • Tintintin's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Jun 12 #337241 by Tintintin
Topic started by Tintintin
I pay maintenance through CSA to my ex. We never married or co-habited.
I''m thinking of selling up and buying something smaller to use surplus for court case seeking contact with my child.
Will ex be entitled via CSA to any surplus cash from sale or a percentage of it?

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
17 Jun 12 #337249 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Not unless you leave £65k plus in a bank account and she asks for a variation. Not entitled to any lump sum though.

No need to spend loads on court for contact. Represent yourself. Join Families Need Fathers

  • Tintintin
  • Tintintin's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Jun 12 #337457 by Tintintin
Reply from Tintintin
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, but it looks like she could claim against any lump sum as confirmed by a family lawyer:

The CSA will look at any assets (apart from your home) worth more than £65,000 and say that it gives an income of 8% per annum and complete an assessment on that notional income.
In addition there is a risk that if you have spare assets then your ex can make a claim under Schedule 1 of the Children Act for the use of a lump sum to help her house the child until the child is 18 (at which point the property would revert to you.

Needless to say I''m going to do some maths!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.