A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Child maintenance with 50/50 care

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Sep 12 #356707 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun

You and my partner must have the same ex!!

My partner ex believes she has exclusive rights over the children and ''allows'' contact. A pattern now set in stone for the next 10years according to the ex?!?

My partner ex repeatedly complains about only receiving the ''''minimum amount of cm'''' despite having an income greater than my partner, even though she works part time!!

I personally think we have a society that believes that RP''s are in charge of the children and NRP''s have to be grateful for any contact they get?!? We wonder why NRP walk away from the children but I can honestly now see how it happens. Its so frustrating repeatedly getting crumbs of contact, being dictated too and feeling pushed out of the children''s lives.

Until society values both parents I think unfortunately this current state of mind will continue.

  • Child Maintenance Options
  • Child Maintenance Options's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
19 Sep 12 #356708 by Child Maintenance Options
Reply from Child Maintenance Options

Thanks for the post.

child maintenance is paid to the parent with day-to-day care of the child by the other parent. In cases where parents share the care of their children equally and the main day-to-day carer cannot be determined, the parent who receives Child Benefit for the child will be classed as the provider of day-to-day care. So, even if you share the care of your children, if your children''s mother receives Child Benefit for them, she is the parent with day-to-day care and you have a legal responsibility to pay child maintenance. However, the parent paying child maintenance will pay less as a result of sharing the care. The CSA will work out how much child maintenance should be paid using their normal processes this includes the number of nights the children stay over with the non-resident parent. This is set to change in future under the reforms proposed by the Government.

Having said this, that doesn''t mean you have to use the CSA. I understand that it''s a difficult situation but I would urge you to try and sort things out amicably with your wife, as family-based arrangement (without the involvement of the CSA or the courts) is usually the best option for everyone involved. If you''re able, I would suggest that you speak to your children''s mother again about re-negotiating your family-based arrangement.

For more information about family-based arrangements and access to useful tools and forms online you can visit www.cmoptions.org, or if you''d prefer a confidential chat you could call the Child Maintenance Options team on 0800 988 0988 (free from a landline).

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.