A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

University Maintenance

  • tillie1234
  • tillie1234's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 Sep 12 #356788 by tillie1234
Topic started by tillie1234
My ex-husband paid maintenance (by order) for our daughter until she finished full time education at school. He verbally agreed with her, to pay her accommodation/living costs whilst she is at University. Less than two weeks after she has started University, ''conditions'' are now being attached to this arrangement. I was concerned this would happen as it is in his controlling nature to do so (I divorced him because this) Can my daughter put this financial arrangement on a ''legal footing'' i.e. apply to the courts for him to maintain her whilst she is at University?
Many thanks for any help with this.

  • Child Maintenance Options
  • Child Maintenance Options's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
21 Sep 12 #357158 by Child Maintenance Options
Reply from Child Maintenance Options
Hi thanks for your post on child maintenance. In summary, child maintenance is paid by the non-resident parent to the parent with care and if using the CSA, is payable until the child turns 16 or until they reach 19 if in full-time education (not higher than A-level equivalent).

If your daughter needs some more information about where she stands legally, it might be worth contacting Community Legal Advice. Their helpline number is 0845 345 4345. There''s also the Citizens Advice Bureau on 08444 111 444.

For more information about child maintenance and to access our useful tools and forms online you can visit www.cmoptions.org, or if you''d prefer a confidential chat you could call the Child Maintenance Options team on 0800 988 0988 (free from a landline).

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.