A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Moving into my house

  • Gemski79
  • Gemski79's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
15 Feb 13 #379803 by Gemski79
Topic started by Gemski79
I know that this one isnt about divorec or separation, quite the opposite. When i got divorced from my daughters dad I bought a house for me and my daughter and currently have around £30k equity and reasonably low mortgage repayments. Anyway, Me and my boyfriend have been together for nearly 2 years now and he owns his house jointly with his brother - his brother now wants to sell and my boyfriend wont really have any money out of the house - maybe £1 or £2k as he didnt put any in as a deposit to his house. We both want to live together and he mentioned about him going on my mortgage and we could split the bills.
With the house being mine and has been for the last 8 years, how does that stand if we were to split up at all in the future? Could he be entitled to half of my house? if it came to that I wouldnt be able to afford to buy him out - what is the best thing to do??

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Feb 13 #379832 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
All right then.
At the moment, you are the sole owner of the house. If you live together, you do not have to change that position, and it might be better for you if you did nothing and left yourself as sole owner.
As long as you are not married, his rights, if any, will depend on the general law of property and/or landlord and tenant. If you do not get married, there can be no divorce, and the Court would not have any powers to redistribute the marital assets as it would have with a divorce.
You mention him '' going on the mortgage ''. If he lives in the house it is is reasonable that he should pay something towards his accommodation costs. In time it is possible that, if he makes sufficient in the way of monetary contributions he might be entitled to an interest in the house, but not as high as 50/50 unless the two of you start to be known as Darby and Joan. You can spell out in advance what the share is to be, if you want.
He can''t '' go on the mortgage '' unless the property is in joint ownership. He could act as guarantor.
The important point is that he doesn''t have to be a joint owner or a guarantor to live in the house. He could live there for no better reason than that you allow him to do it; and from his point of view, his rights to occupy initially would be very tenuous.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11