A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

dependant children

  • mac933
  • mac933's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
14 Jan 14 #418956 by mac933
Topic started by mac933
in law do your children become non Dependant
adult when they leave full time education and start university
thanks john

  • u6c00
  • u6c00's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jan 14 #418961 by u6c00
Reply from u6c00
It depends on the context.

You could no longer receive child benefit for a child who is now at university or in full time work, so couldn''t claim child maintenance for that child through the CMS. You also couldn''t class that child as dependent if you claim other benefits such as housing benefit.

A child at university can technically apply for financial support from a parent through the courts in their own right however.

If you have a Consent Order to pay maintenance, things very much depend on the wording. For example "until the child ceases full time education" could cover degree and postgraduate study, whilst "until the child ceases full time secondary education" probably only covers up to the end of A levels/equivalent.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11