A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Resident / Non Resident Rights

  • dooda
  • dooda's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
01 Mar 08 #15444 by dooda
Topic started by dooda
Can any one explain if there are any main differences in resident and non resident parental rights. I am talking about schooling / housing type stuff and not day to day responsibility.

I want to remain fully involved in the wellbeing of my kids but my stbx who the kids live with wants to cut me off and act alone.


  • hostee
  • hostee's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
01 Mar 08 #15448 by hostee
Reply from hostee
If you are a parent who doenst have residency in anyway through the court system, you have to request permission to take the child/children out of the country, you can apply for shared residency or joint/share care order all pretty much the same in my experience just diff words, and even if the child/children only spend 1 night a week or one weekend a month it can still be considered shared/joint care, which also in turn means you are entitled to the childs personal details, school records, medical records and info etc etc, without a court order of share/joint residency its my understanding you are not automatically entitled to this private info even if you are a parent. hope this is of some help

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Mar 08 #15449 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Both parents have parental responsibility and are seen as equal in the eyes of the law which focuses on the duties towards their child rather than rights.

In practical terms parental responsibility means both parents need to be involved in decisions about where a child is to live, whether a child should receive medical treatment, what religion the child should follow and which school they should attend.

When there is conflict its a good idea to concentrate on what can be agreed and where compromises can be made. If then there is still some disagreement mediation or counseling is a good way of resolving child related disputes.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.