A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

contact order??

  • honeysuckle
  • honeysuckle's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
08 Oct 07 #4444 by honeysuckle
Topic started by honeysuckle
Am divorced finally :woohoo:ex has been having the kids (girls9&6) every other weekend. but his interest in this contact, is on the wain, he can't really be bothered anymore, plus we verbally agreed two, one week holidays per year. Everytime i suggest a week for him to have them, he refuses as he sees it as helping me out. is there anyway i can get something written down, if he keeps refusing can i be the one to name the week, and tell him he is having them.

  • Angel557
  • Angel557's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 07 #4449 by Angel557
Reply from Angel557
Unfortuatly you cannot force someone to have contact, NRp's can go to court as many times as they like a get a contact order in place , the pWC has to have the children avaliable at the times stated on the contact order.but as i say if someone really don't want contact there is nothing you can do, will be there loss in the end.

  • wscowell
  • wscowell's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
08 Oct 07 #4450 by wscowell
Reply from wscowell

If you get really desperate you could always try withholding contact citing the upset the girls experience every time they get their hopes built up at seeing Daddy again and then him letting them down, refer to it as "emotional harm".

Then if he is serious about contact he would have to issue an Application for a contact Order. You could self-rep to keep costs down (plenty advice here to help) and explain to CAFCASS / District Judge your concerns about their emotional well-being, say you seek commitment on father's part so as to minimise harm to children.

Then a contact Order could be made, by consent is not a problem, but he gets embarrassed into complying with it. If he doesn't then you can take it back to Court and ask Court to discharge it. He will get the message soon enough. Worth a thought. You could even tell him you have been considering doing this, see what response it provokes. Good luck

Will C

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 07 #4457 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
To answer the question in a nutshell, no.

Frustrating though it is, there is no compulsion for parents to have contact with their children. It's very tough when you are managing on your own. Do you have friends or relatives who are willing to help out?

One of my biggest beefs is the number of cases where the NRP pursues contact through the courts but never to takes it up, or only takes it up when it suits. In fact it has been suggested in Scottish parliamentary debate not binding both parties to contact orders is contrary to human rights legislation.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.