A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info


  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Nov 07 #6514 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
It is possible to develop depression following a head injury. It does seem as though your ex needs medical help, but he's probably not ill enough for you to do the full works and get him sectioned. I think you probably just have to keep on trying to get him to see your gp and get some kind of referral to a specialist. You could possibly try going to see his doctor yourself and discussing it with him or her.

Good luck!


  • topaz
  • topaz's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Nov 07 #6516 by topaz
Reply from topaz
if your husband is so against going to the dr then can't you request the dr come and see him as a home visit.if you explain his extreme reluctance to attend the surgery he may agree, particularly as he recently had a head injury and his behaviour may very well be related to this.Also has he changed or stopped his medication? or possibly experiencing side effects of his medication for epilepsy, or even the blood levels are a little out... too little or too much antileptics/anticonvulsant can also cause problems..many reasons possible but he should be investigated as his behaviour may well be caused by a physical reason( previous head injury) rather than a psychiatric one.his total refusal to see the dr may well be based on fear rather than being just difficult. it's very difficult for you because you don't really know where you stand,particularly as his moods are so variable.I wish you luck.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Nov 07 #6528 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Yes, I think there are a number of possibilities. People with epilepsy frequently suffer depression too. Him being like a 'zombie' might have been a mild seizure rather than a psychotic episode. Almost anyone can have a brief psychotic episode BTW, but those who aren't distressed or don’t have a repeat episode never come in contact with medical services. Also it's important not to underestimate the effect anger can have on someone's behaviour whilst going through separation/divorce. It's not really helpful to speculate.

It doesn't sound as though anyone at this time can make your husband go to the doctors and I think pressurising him could well be counter productive. As far as the children are concerned it's their wishes regarding contact that matters. As said above your GP should consider offering you and the children support.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.