A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Custody/residency etc

  • braindearth
  • braindearth's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
02 Jan 08 #9810 by braindearth
Topic started by braindearth
HI, a bit confused about this. what is my best option to keep my son near me for as long as possible. My wife already has plans to move away after divorce or separation and I do not see what I can do.

The problem is I travel for my job, but despite this I have provided a very significant proportion of the childcare up to now. e.g. every evening (including bathing, dinner, getting to bed) that I am there and almost all at weekends. My wife has no control over him and lets him do exactly what he wants, with me he is a different child - respectful, polite and completely charming. I feel he develops well from my input and there is plenty of that right now as my wife is taking off to see new bf more or less whenever she likes, leaving me to look after my son (actually I rather like it). I would like nothing more than to give up work and be afull time parent, but that is obviously impossible.

My son and I have a fantastic relationship and he adores me. He is 4. I can give up my wife and my home in this, but not my son. Every other weekend only would kill me. Any ideas?

  • Monitor441
  • Monitor441's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Jan 08 #9813 by Monitor441
Reply from Monitor441
If you want to be involved with your son as much as you want you may have to give up your job as well as your wife and home. Or change it radically so that you can share care with your wife

I separated from my wife 13 months ago after I found out about her affair. I have 2 children (now 11 and 9) and I share care with my wife on a 50/50 basis week on week off. I have a rented house 1/2 mile from the FMH and the children have one life but live in two homes. I, like you, travelled a lot for my job and I still do, but I have to juggle my travel so that I am away the week they kids are with their mother and work locally the week they are with me.

How you stop her moving away, I'm sorry I have no experience of this.

Good luck


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.