A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

I can''t breathe - he wants custody

  • disbeliever
  • disbeliever's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Jun 12 #337280 by disbeliever
Topic started by disbeliever
Please can someone help. Having been absent for a year with only occasional contact my ex now wants custody. This only started because he lied to the children about contact and they would not go with him. He perceives it as me preventing access. He tried to hit me over the head in front of the children. And now I have to pay to stop this - any advice???

  • mumtoboys
  • mumtoboys's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Jun 12 #337305 by mumtoboys
Reply from mumtoboys
try not to panic - it''s more than likely a lot of hot air. Keep a diary of incidents and if there''s any hitting or any threatening, involve the police without hesitation. If he takes you to court, from what you have written in that short paragraph,it''s unlikely he''s going to get anywhere. Try to avoid any door-step discussions, do everything via e-mail so you have a written record.

From his point of view, he''s now in a situation where his children don''t want to see him. It''s far easier to blame you for that than look to his own behaviour. My ex has recently ''returned'' from a 15 month absence although fortunately, our children have been happy to see him and we are making a good go of contact. But it could so easily have gone the other way if there had been reluctance on the part of the children.

And as my solicitor used to say..he can want but that doesn''t necessarily mean he''s going to get!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.