A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Court costs

  • crystaltipsy
  • crystaltipsy's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
10 Aug 13 #403898 by crystaltipsy
Topic started by crystaltipsy
Hi- I''m at the stage of Decree Nisi awarded and at the same time the court decreed that my husband should pay the costs. however, he lives overseas and it would be very difficult/impossible to get him to pay the money owed (1000). If he doesnt pay, I assume I will be forced to pay the outstanding costs? Is this a correct assumption? Its pretty annoying as he also kept all our joint belongings and I got left with our debts.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Aug 13 #404013 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
The debt that you have with your solicitor is your debt alone. Any debt owed by your ex to you is separate. At no point can your debt with your solicitor be transferred to your ex.

So, in answer to your question, you have to pay your fees and hopefully recover these from your ex although this seems unlikely if he lives overseas.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.