A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Is a default costs certificate enforceable?

  • Fiddler
  • Fiddler's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
10 Jul 19 #508458 by Fiddler
Topic started by Fiddler
H was ordered to pay my divorce costs. He ignores any request I make so I went down the default costs certificate route. I issued him with the correct forms such as the notice of commencement of assessment of bill of costs etc

He just ignored that so I’ve applied for a default costs certificate.
What do I do once I get that? He will definitely just ignore it.
So how can I enforce it?

Any help appreciated. We’re fully divorced and have gone through the court and settled financially etc. It’s been very high conflict and he’s highly manipulative and deceitful so it has been a long two years. We also both ended up self representing after the initial £16k I spent on solicitors got us nowhere.

He owes me £2k for the divorce costs. Any ideas on what steps to take next to force him to pay?

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Jul 19 #508480 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
The default costs certificate is a money judgement which means you can use www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome to begin debt recovery proceedings.

You need to allow 14 days from service of the default costs certificate to allow payment and you ought to issue a warning that debt recovery proceedings will be issued by a particular date if payment is not made.

It'll cost you a small court fee which is added to the debt. It can all be done online.


  • Fiddler
  • Fiddler's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
11 Jul 19 #508483 by Fiddler
Reply from Fiddler
Charles thanks so much. I’ll do that.

  • natters1984
  • natters1984's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
25 Jul 19 #508716 by natters1984
Reply from natters1984
Hi Charles,
Hope you do not mind me jumping on this thread-I am in the exact same situation- i just wanted to check if the default cost certificate is form N255 and crucially where do i file this? I cantfind any info! many many thanks

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.