A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

how to get a quick cheap solution is court best?

  • jemma12345
  • jemma12345's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Aug 19 #509373 by jemma12345
Topic started by jemma12345
My case should be straight forward except for my partners stubbornness. He earns £55K I earn 17K. I have a son who is 14 and another 20 old student at home. im only getting maintenance for one child and at mo he's paying half the mortgage but only til son is 18. Then sell up and he wants 50-50 I want 70 -30 tried mediation waste of time. How can I get a fair slice? The law doesn't protect the weaker party especially when you cant afford legal fees.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
29 Aug 19 #509374 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Are there any pensions to consider?

Are you claiming child related benefits including tax credits?

A lot will depend on how much you actually need to meet your basic housing requirements. The strict housing need for each of you would be a two bed property if both children are boys.

Taking the court route need not cost a fortune. You can self represent but it is important to make sure you really understand the process and are realistic about the likely outcome. This site can offer support and we also have a number of low cost services to help.


  • jemma12345
  • jemma12345's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Aug 19 #509377 by jemma12345
Reply from jemma12345
I have small pension he has only started paying in two years ago.(Both in 40s) What im wondering is arbitration cheaper/better than court? what on average is the cost? How time consuming is it to self represent? I don't get benefits as I have chosen to get another temp job which takes my salary to 17k usual 14k . Is it better to try Clean Break now or if I stay in property till son 18?I just want a fair settlement to provide a home for me and kids post 18 but ex thinks they don't need to live with me post 18.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.