A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Costs imposed from abroad

  • geebee1978
  • geebee1978's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
06 Nov 19 #510311 by geebee1978
Topic started by geebee1978
Bit of a strange one. I'm from the UK where I currently reside with my two children. My wife is Thai and is living in Cyprus. She has issued me with divorce papers from Cyprus. I won't defend the divorce but disagree with the accusations and "fault" and her claim for costs. I suppose the question is, what jurisdiction does a Cypriot family court have over me and what would be the consequence of simply ignoring the papers?

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Nov 19 #510316 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
If the petition is from a Cypriot Court, you are unlikely to be able to receive any guidance on this forum.

However, ignoring papers is not usually a good idea. In English law, the quickest route to a divorce is for the respondent to acknowledge the petition and not defend it. The rest is simple paperwork after that. Not acknowledging the petition leads to personal service and extra costs, which the respondent may have to pay.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.