A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

FDR hearing -property not valued and lying husband

  • trolleydolly
  • trolleydolly's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
29 Apr 12 #327307 by trolleydolly
Topic started by trolleydolly
I have my FDR hearing booked for a week on Tuesday. The court had ordered at the First Directions Appointment that a joint valuation be performed on the French property due to the dispute as to its value. The property was bought for 200.000 euros and my husband had it valued at 120.000euros. I could not afford to travel to France to have the property valued and my husband refused to hand me they keys in any case. My online valuation valued the property at 278.000 euros which seems a little over the top considering the house needs renovating. I therefore do not know the true value of the house. It was agreed between solicitors for both parties that a joint valuation be performed by a Chartered Building Surveyor. Although yet to be confirmed by my solicitor, it seems that my husband has not paid his share for the valuation so it will not be going ahead. How will the courts view this and what is the likely next step?

My husband also declared on form E that he earns an income of £15,000 a year when the reality is much, much greater. He paid a total of nearly £2,800 in mortgages during the whole marriage and we enjoyed a comfortable lifestyle. The minute I separated and announced the word ''divorce'' he stopped paying the mortgage (in joint names) on the property where me and my daughter currently reside, it was consequently changed to ''TEMPORARY interest only'' so that I could afford the mortgage payments. Two months before the First Directions Appointment he also stopped paying the mortgage on the French property (also in joint names) as he is now claiming he cannot afford it. Incidentally, I changed my work contract to part-time (permanent)once my daughter was born. Funnily enough, during voluntary disclosure, he suggested that he keep the French property and FMH (FMH in his name-minimal equity) but now he is saying he cannot afford it. My solicitors tell me that the case will have to go to a contested hearing to get to the bottom of his true income so that I may be able to claim spousal maintenance so that I can pay at least the mortgage on the house where I am residing with my daughter. Why is this the case? Why can''t this be resolved at the FDR? I cannot afford a contested hearing. I don''t know how I''m going to afford the mortgage payments on this house in 6 months time. Are the courts going to allow me to end up in a council house with my daughter whilst he sits in a modern/comfortable 4 bed detached house and lives a standard of living whereby he enjoys meals out, weekends away and four foreign holidays a year?! Please help.:unsure:

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.