A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Simple answers please

  • moggie1965
  • moggie1965's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
26 Nov 07 #7713 by moggie1965
Topic started by moggie1965
after only 6 months of marraige and having waited for the one year deadline to pass I petitioned the ex2b on the grounds of UB. She has filed a xpetition and answer that are total lies.
Judge 1 lists the case for a hearing lasting two days and orders an exchange of statements, documents etc.
I complied with court order however the ex2b solicitor failed to comply so had to apply to the court for an extension to time.
Judge 2 decides at next hearing to permit extension to time, but was quite adament that he would not let the case proceed to a hearing no matter what. Sent us away to sort out any differences and ordered us back before him on the 19th December.

Can he or does he have any right to over rule the first judge whom is of the same rank and stop this proceeding to a hearing. Can he order that we both get a Decree Nisi even though I still dispute her x petition.

As I am self repping at present I feel the judge is trying to bully me into submission. ex2b has managed to get legal aid just for the divorce, which puzzles me? I could understand legal aid to sort out any finances but how would she get legal to x petition.

Would apprecaite some clear and concise answers.

  • IKNOWNOW's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
26 Nov 07 #7721 by IKNOWNOW
Reply from IKNOWNOW
I was cross petitioned by my x2b and didn't agree with the grounds, which i denied but accepted that the marriage had broken down and therefore accepted his petition. I want a divorce and at the end of the day I know why I wanted to divorce him and that what he has used as grounds are not worth the paper they are written on but i just want to be divorced from him as soon as possible. You could say you will deny the grounds but accept the petition, but you could ask that she pays her own costs, that is what I did.

As far as the Legal Aid goes, I believe if you are entitled to it, you will get it for the whole process, but you have to apply for each section. She will be obliged to pay it back (as it is only a loan) if she receives any money or property out of the divorce.

Hope this has helped a little.

Don't waste money, and put yourself under any more stress ie court cases than you really need. The end result will still be a divorce from your wife.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.