A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need legal advice on a fair financial settlement?

We offer a consultation with experienced family solicitor for a low fixed fee. You will receive legal advice and a written report outlining your legal position and setting out what a fair settlement would look like based on your individual circumstances.

Assets buitlt up after divorce

  • John01
  • John01's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
16 Oct 12 #361342 by John01
Topic started by John01
Hello, I am looking for some advice. I was divorced 12 years ago and at the time of the divorce we had significant debts and no assets. I attempted to exchange form E''s and secure a Clean Break but my ex-wife refused to respond at the time. We have 2 children one is now 18 and the other 15 1/2 and I have been paying child maintenance via the CSA throughout the last 12 years, consequently I did not have the means to pursue the matter of the financial settlement and so let it lie. Since then I have remarried and have have been able to discharge all of the debts with no contribution from my ex-spouse. I have rebuilt my life and have a mortgage with my new wife(of 11 years)and no debts other than a mortgage. I have records of the debts from the time of the divorce; a value of my pension at the time of the divorce etc and other financial records.
Wher do I stand?

  • eyes on horizon
  • eyes on horizon's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Oct 12 #361354 by eyes on horizon
Reply from eyes on horizon
you can attempt to settle now via consent but if the ex does not cooperate then i am not sure but one of the legal heads should be along shortly with more advice. Best bet is to write to the ex asking to tie things up, politely. I think that you can not lodge AR proceedings at court however, as you ahve remarried.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 Oct 12 #361394 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
Unless there were significant assets, time generally diminishes a claim.

As EyesOH says, you may not be able to apply for a financial settlement as you have remarried. It does rather depend upon whether you were the Petitioner in divorce proceedings and if so, did you make a financial claim in the petition?


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.