A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need legal advice on a fair financial settlement?

We offer a consultation with experienced family solicitor for a low fixed fee. You will receive legal advice and a written report outlining your legal position and setting out what a fair settlement would look like based on your individual circumstances.

School fees

  • Agnes
  • Agnes's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
25 Nov 07 #7663 by Agnes
Topic started by Agnes
My husband has offered to pay half the mortgage and the school fees and nothing else. He says this is a great deal He has a good pension,share options and company car, private medicine etc. and a good salary. I work part time my children are 10 and 12.

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 Nov 07 #7665 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
Under the CSA guidelines it is recommended that he pays 20% of net pay each month for 2 children as child maintenence.

School fees are not allowed to be considered as child maintenance so your ex will have to pay the 20% on top of the school fees or not pay the school fees and let the child go to state school.

The mortgage payment can count as mainteance.


  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 Nov 07 #7668 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
It's difficult to comment without considering the overall picture and there's not enough detail to do that. Is this in the short term or are you talking about the final settlement?

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 Nov 07 #7671 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
Just a minor correction, Specialdad, but an important one. The CSA does not recommend 20% of net pay, but requires that to be paid, if an application for child maintenance is made through them. This can only be seen as a guideline if you are making an agreement outside the CSA framework, and such an agreement can't be made part of a court order. I think you can sometimes get a court order for additional maintenance, such as school fees, though.


  • NE0
  • NE0's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
26 Nov 07 #7687 by NE0
Reply from NE0
Hi Agnes
As an opening offer it gives you a starting point, but I expect your solicitor to be able to help you increase the level of fairness between the two of you and help make sure that the children don't suffer in their education. From the sounds of it your ex has quite a collection of bits and pieces wrapped up in his job. Pension plans are often forgotten or not considered as valuable and this could really help you in the long term if you have only worked part time whilst bringing the family up. It is worth collecting all of the information together and then working out a solution that meets both of your needs. If you are still on good terms with your ex it might be that the Collaborative Law process would help you to reach a solution. This site has a section on Collaborative Law and there are likely to be specially trained lawyers in your region who can talk to you about it. It’s definitely not for everyone and needs both parties to want to work towards a solution, but might be worth considering.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.