A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

no acknowledgement of service, what next?

  • sunshiny_sarah
  • sunshiny_sarah's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
10 May 12 #329718 by sunshiny_sarah
Topic started by sunshiny_sarah
hello, i managed myself through my divorce with the help of this site (and my solicitor) 2 years ago...now i find i am trying to help my new partner do the same!!

he has been separated more than 5 years and so we decided to do a DIY divorce using an online service. we completed the Petition and statement of arrangements for the children (he has custody) and submitted it to court, no problems. his ex is an alcoholic and does not open her post so no surprise at 14 days later there is no response.

can anyone advise what we should do next? i know we can ask for the petition to be served again by a bailiff but i also read somewhere that you can ask the judge to consider the petition served - something to do with family procedure rules 2010. i must admit its all a bit of a blur to me and we are not sure what to do next. just wondered if anyone had been through the same process? many thanks in advance


  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
10 May 12 #329727 by dukey
Reply from dukey
I hope the online service you are using is managed by a solicitor B)

Even when you are using five years separation you still need to show service took place, this can be a process service or if you have proof the respondent knows your partner is asking for a divorce, so there are two ways.

Deemed service, the judge knows the spouse is aware but refuses to send the paperwork back.

Dispensed service, the judge knows your partner cannot find the ex for service but they have done all they can to do so.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.