A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Halting divorce proceedings

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
12 Jul 12 #342788 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
You certainly can - and in your case it would be a good idea to! She may try to contest but in practice it is usually allowed.

If you have not given her any money then that reduces/negates any potential claim for maintenance. Her housing and income needs appear to be met without the need for anything from you.

This will just boil down to the matrimonial assets .. and proof or otherwise of her contribution.

Are you much older than her? This too will be a factor.

As far as the house goes, I would not do anything re putting it in joint names with your son until the finances are settled. This could open up another (expensive) can of worms. Do though make sure you have a watertight will and, if you can, make someone else a beneficiary of your pension.


  • csh
  • csh's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
12 Jul 12 #342793 by csh
Reply from csh
Many thanks again, Hadenoughnow. I''ll then press for the Decree Absolute as soon as possible. Thanks too for the advice re: house and pension.

She''s ten years younger than me, almost to the day. There are no matrimonial assets other than those we each had prior to the marriage.



Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.