A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

2 year separation

  • M96
  • M96's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
18 Jul 12 #344011 by M96
Topic started by M96
Myself and the wife have decided to amicably separate and hope to divorce in two years time based on 2year separation.

Can anyone please let me know if there needs to be a legal document regarding this?

As in, do we need to go to a lawyer to get a document signed to say we are separating?

From what i have read, there as been no mention of a requirement to have a legal document stating that we are separating.

Thank you

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Jul 12 #344012 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
It is often a mistake to decide to wait for 2 years. A lot can change in 2 years, maybe your ex will refuse to give her consent, for any reason logical or illogical. If the marriage is over then it makes sense to end it now rather than waiting.

You could get a Separation Agreement but this is not watertight and will need to be revisited on divorce anyway, so it''s a bit of a waste of time and effort really. Might as well just divorce and get a Consent Order. It''s cheaper and less hassle.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.