A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020
Mon/Fri 9am-8pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-8pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

How to get costs following D61 ORDER

  • natters1984
  • natters1984's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
11 months 3 weeks ago #507878 by natters1984
How to get costs following D61 ORDER was created by natters1984
I need some advice having been awarded the divorce costs in a D61 order on how to get them?
Do I complete the N252 form?
I am assuming this like the rest of the legal forms will be ignored so I am wondering if anyone has the link for what is next?
Which form do I complete for the detailed assessment and how much does it cost for this to be heard in court?

Thanks in advance for help- this has been a messy awful divorce and has cost me more money than I have and I have a young child to support.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
11 months 2 weeks ago #507962 by .Charles
Replied by .Charles on topic Re:How to get costs following D61 ORDER
Firstly, did you instruct a solicitor or did you deal with the divorce yourself?

If you dealt with it yourself, your costs will be limited to the court fee and possibly a few other third party fees (disbursements) such as marriage certificate fee, bailiff/process server fee.

If that is the case, you will need to prepare a documents headed Bill of Costs (Detailed assessment) and further down 'Petitioner's bill of costs to be assessed on the standard basis pursuant to the order dated [date of order]'.

Ideally you would have a chronology and a structure but as a litigant in person the court would allow you some latitude. I would list the date of marriage, the date of petition and the amount of the court fee, the date of decree nisi, the date of decree [url=Glossary/General/Absolute.html ]absolute[/url].

At the bottom of the page you can put a summary of the costs you are claiming.

Then you complete the N252, sign it and send a copy of that (keep the original), the order for costs, a copy of the bill and copies of invoices incurred (probably limited to process server fee if applicable) to the Respondent.

Wait 21 days.

If no response you can apply for a default costs certificate. If there is a response this will be payment or points of dispute.

Here's a link to the model bill of costs www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rule.../new-precedent-a.pdf

Here's a link to the procedure www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rule...-detailed-assessment

And here's a link to the Practice Directions - paragraph 14.1 onwards is relevant as it will be a provisional assessment that takes place if one is required www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rule...-special-cases2#14.1


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11