A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

possibly going back to work

  • foxy2011
  • foxy2011's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
29 Jul 12 #345944 by foxy2011
Topic started by foxy2011
Hi can anyone give me any advice to cut a very long story i secured legal aid to fight my corner on dv, and divorce, some funding was secured for contact issues with the children, and the residence app and contact issues are still on going at the moment, I am however now divorced, my ex was found guilty of DV,there is no argument about who the children will live with, I have decided to not fight over my belongings as I am past caring and have very little fight left in me so if he wants my belongings so badly he can have them and my children finally now have their own independ legal representation. I have been informed that my benefits are stopping and i will have to return to work but i am worried about what will happen with my legal aid, I know it will stop but will they seek full refund of the legal aid certificate as the solicitor has grouped everything under one application and the case is still currently on going or will they just stop funding and i will have to pay for representation from this point on. confused and very worried ????

  • redroxy82
  • redroxy82's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Aug 12 #347635 by redroxy82
Reply from redroxy82
I am no expert and think there are probably others more qualified but as I understand it you will stop receiving the LA from now on.

This happened to me at the start of proceedings. As soon as my CSA and housing benefit started (both being processed at the time of starting my divorce) I was over the LA threshold so from then on had to pay.

I''m now stuck as can''t afford to pay for a solicitor privately.

Good luck for the future and hopefully you''ll get all the outcomes you deserve. I also left after DV and have walked away from my home and belongings, it''s hard but the Clean Break was worth it xxx

  • u6c00
  • u6c00's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Aug 12 #347646 by u6c00
Reply from u6c00
I don''t know the answer to your question but I think LA won''t be stopped completely.

Usually, after you earn a certain amount you have to pay a contribution to the legal aid, which could be a nominal amount (couple of pounds a month) or more, it all depends on how much you earn.

If you come off income-assessed benefits you will need to be income assessed by the LSC who should make a decision on how much your contribution should be.

  • Pammy1970
  • Pammy1970's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
07 Sep 12 #354397 by Pammy1970
Reply from Pammy1970
Not sure if you are now sorted but if you are looking for work you should be able to claim Jobseeker''s Allowance which will entitle you to legal aid.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.