A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

fnancial problem help after seperation

  • sammycat
  • sammycat's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
21 Apr 12 #325519 by sammycat
Topic started by sammycat
i left my ex about 6 years ago i moved area he stayed in the property. i have now receive a notice from a dept recover for council tax from that property. my ex stayed in that property for the remaing of the 6 mounth tenancy.am i liable for the council tax if i was not there why are det recovry agents chasing me how do i sto them pleas help

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
21 Apr 12 #325596 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow

Did you notify the council that you had moved out? Or did he apply for single occupancy reduction? Presumably you were both named on the tenancy agreement?

Have you had any letters from the council about this or just from a debt recovery agency?

How much are we talking about? Your best bet may be to contact the council, explain the situation and, if you have it, provide proof that you moved out on a particular date (ie rent agreement for different property, evidence of bills from new place etc).


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.