A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Are you/will you/have you changed your name back?

  • Wiser
  • Wiser's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
08 Jun 12 #335776 by Wiser
Reply from Wiser
I changed my name after receiving the Absolute, however I found out that I could have changed it before once separated.

Yes I have children and I am not denying their parentage - it is not their choice, it''s mine.

As for the X, well, he still communicates to his ex wife, thinking she still exists. But that maybe because he''s like that and still thinks he owns me.

Hell No. I am who I was born and I am very comfortable with that. I will never change my name again, not for nothing or no-one. Men don''t have to, why should a woman?

As for the stigma, this is the 21st century, and the minority are those who have parents with different surnames. As long as the children are loved and cared for and have their own identity (their name from their birth certificate), why should there be a problem?

Any woman looking to change their surname on their passport can do so, see the application form. You can also state that you were "formerly known as Mrs X" and you can state the name you want to use. You do not have to wait like I did for the Absolute.

Take back the power and control in your life and remember who you really are.

  • laura75
  • laura75's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
11 Sep 12 #355212 by laura75
Reply from laura75
i will be changing my name back as soon as i''m devorced. I want nothing from that man, my children''s opinion will be of no consequence and my son who is 15 has already refered to me using my Maiden Name recently, i disagree that there is a stigma. i would rather have a different name a spring in my step and a smile on my face and be in my new life than, be unhappy with my ex and hanging on to a miserable situation for the sake of a name. no thanks.

  • For real
  • For real's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
11 Sep 12 #355235 by For real
Reply from For real
I kept my married name for 8 years till my son was old enough to understand and identify with the purpose of a Surname. He is comfortable with me reverting to my maiden name (after all he doesn''t call me Mrs Xxxxxx) he calls me mum.. and he has no intention of changing his Surname.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.